Feelingfictional

Feelingfictional

Empire of Night  - Justin Somper Empire of Night is the 5th book in the vampirates series so I'm going to assume that if you're reading this review you've already read the first 4 books, therefore although this review will be spoiler free for Empire of Night it will mention events from the earlier books. You have been warned! If you haven't started this series yet then I'd highly recommend getting hold of a copy of Demons of the Ocean asap.

I've mentioned in previous reviews how much I love this series but trust me the stakes have been raised in this installment and in my opinion it was the best book so far. After the revelations in Black Heart that Sidorio is the twins real father they are both dealing with this news in very different ways. Grace is more open to the idea, she has spent a lot more time with the Vampirates and is more accepting of them but Connor is horrified - this really is his worse nightmare. As both of them are given the task of spying on Sidorio (Connor for the Pirate Federation and Grace for the Nocturnals) they are forced to spend more time with him than either of them would have chosen to do. As they are drawn deeper into Sidorio's world you will probably find yourself shocked at some of their reactions but wow does it make for an interesting read.

What I love most about this series is the character development that not just Connor and Grace but also the other characters go through. Having the story told from so many different points of view allows Justin Somper to show events from multiple angles and he really is a master at weaving the various story lines together into an addictive read. The books are full of mini cliffhangers as the story switches to another plot line every chapter and this makes them practically impossible to put down. In Empire of Night I was shocked and horrified after reading the prologue but also completely hooked - I just HAD to know what was going to happen.

This story is somewhat darker than the earlier books but all the better for it. Good and evil can't be seen in black and white - each of the characters are an interesting shade of grey and even Sidorio has a nicer side which is something I never expected to say. I was on an emotional roller coaster for this one and I loved every minute of it (even if it did make me shed a tear or two!). I can't wait to read Immortal War, although I'll be sad to see the series end I have a feeling it's going to go out with a bang.