Feelingfictional

Feelingfictional

Tempest  - Julie Cross 19 year old Jackson has recently discovered he has the ability to jump through time. He has been experimenting with the help of his best friend Adam trying to learn his limits and so far he only seems to be able to go a couple of days back in time. Everything changes the day gunmen burst in on him and his girlfriend Holly and she gets shot. In his panic Jackson somehow manages to jump two years into the past and now he's there he can't seem to find a way back to the present. Will he be able to find a way back home and can he do anything in the past to save Holly in the future?

I found the beginning of the story fascinating as we watch Jackson and Adam experiment to try and find out the limitations of Jackson's abilities. The rules of time travel were really interesting, particularly how nothing he does in the past actually makes any changes in the present. That did confuse me for a while but a lot of things are explained by the end of the book. I also really liked having a male narrator, there don't seem to be that many novels written from the boy's point of view so that is something that always makes me want to pick up a book. I really liked Jackson and thought he was a great main character, I enjoyed watching him try to figure out what was going on and I particularly loved seeing him spend time with his sister Courtney. In fact I would have loved to have seen more of Courtney because she was one of my favourite characters, I hope she has a bigger role in the rest of the series.

I did find the story slowed down in the middle and I felt it spent way too much time focusing on the romance between Jackson and Holly. That wouldn't usually be a problem because I love romance in my stories but for some reason I just didn't connect with them as a couple. Holly was likable enough but there wasn't anything about her that made her stand out for me and I couldn't see why Jackson was so crazy about her. I really found the story dragged for a while and I was getting to the point where I wasn't sure if I would finish reading it but I'm glad I stuck with it because the action towards the end of the book had me hooked back in. The pace really picked up and I couldn't put it down, there were so many twists and I needed to know what would happen next.

Tempest is an impressive debut from Julie Cross and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series - I'm just disappointed we have to wait a year for the next installment!