Feelingfictional

Feelingfictional

Lord of the Vampires - Gena Showalter I was really curious about the Royal House of Shadows series, 4 books written by 4 different authors and all based on a different fairytale - whats not to like about that? Especially when one of the authors is Nalini Singh and another is Gena Showalter - both authors who have written books I have enjoyed in the past. I've not read anything by Jill Monroe or Jessica Anderson before so I thought this would be a great way to try their work too. Lord of the Vampires is the first book and Gena Showalter's contribution to the series.

A retelling of Alice in Wonderland, Lord of the Vampires tells the story of vampire Nicolai who has spent years imprisoned as a sex slave to two very nasty witch princesses. His memory has been wiped so he has no idea who he really is but he knows he wants to escape. Jane is a human who wakes up one day to find herself in a magical kingdom with the handsome stranger she has been dreaming about for weeks. How did she get there and can she find a way to free Nicolai?

I have to admit I didn't love this story as much as I thought I would, I liked it and I'm looking forward to continuing the series but it didn't wow me. Nicolai was a bit too growly alpha male for me (and that isn't something I often complain about!) and I got fed up with him talking in one word sentences. I can deal with the word "MINE" being thrown about a bit but it got way too repetitive in this one and there just wasn't enough proper conversation to compensate for it. Jane wasn't a stand out heroine either, she was OK but I can't remember much about her and I only read the book 6 days ago. I also felt their relationship developed far too quickly, Nicolai jumped into things with Jane very easily considering he's been abused as a sex slave for years which just didn't sit right with me.

Having said that the scenes between the couple were hot with a capital H. I am also looking forward to finding out more about Nicolai's brothers and sister. I want to find out more about how they ended up separated from each other and what has been happening to them while Nicolai was held prisoner, I'm also interested to see if they manage to claim their kingdom back and how they do it.