Feelingfictional

Feelingfictional

Under the Never Sky  - Veronica Rossi Aria has grown up inside one of the Pods built to protect humans from the aether storms that have ravaged the earth. She spends most of her time in virtual reality realms that allow her to go anywhere and do anything but nothing she experiences is real. She has always believed that leaving the safety of the Pod will kill her because of the poisoned atmosphere but when circumstances force her outside she soon realises how wrong that was. Outside is a harsh and dangerous environment though and she will need help to survive, especially if she wants to search for her missing mother.

Perry is the complete opposite of Aria. He has grown up in a village away from the Pods with his family struggling to make ends meet. His tribe have to hunt and gather their own food and barter for other things they need so luxuries are few and far between. Perry is independent, has good friends and enjoys his life though and has an extra special bond with his nephew Talon that was lovely to watch. He hates Aria and everything she stands for, especially when he realises her people are responsible for the disappearance of someone he cares for. He doesn't want to have to watch out for her but she is the only one who might be able to help him find the one he is searching for.

Aria has led a sheltered life so when she finds herself outside of the Pod for the first time I was worried that she would be a weak character who needed looking after. In some ways her inexperience really shows but she is willing to learn and doesn't sit back expecting help, she wants to be able to look after herself and does her best to make that happen. I loved the fact that there isn't an instant romance between her and Perry - it is more like hate at first sight between them! As they work together they gradually learn to trust each other and start to build a friendship that slowly turns into so much more. Because we get to see things from both of their points of view you really get to see how their relationship develops and I loved watching the two of them together. Even before they are friends I loved the banter between them and the way they slowly come to respect each other. Perry is a great main character, he is strong and protective but deep down he is sensitive and sweet with those he cares about. It takes a lot for him to let you into his heart but he will do anything to protect the ones he loves. He is definitely a character you can swoon over!

Under the Never Sky is a great debut from Veronica Rossi and I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel. The story had me hooked from the minute I picked it up and I loved the way the plot unfolded. There are plenty of twists and turns, some great side characters and I obviously loved the romance. I haven't even mentioned the extra sensory abilities that some of the tribe have - I was fascinated by them and can't wait to find out more. I was really pleased that the story doesn't end on a major cliffhanger, yes we are left with questions and I'm eager to get my hands on the sequel but I felt like I'd read a complete story. Too often recently I've been getting to the last page of a book feeling like I've been cheated out of an ending! If you're a fan of YA dystopian stories then this is one of the better ones and I'd definitely recommend giving it a try.