Feelingfictional

Feelingfictional

Insurgent  - Veronica Roth It's no secret that I loved Divergent, it was one of my favourite books of 2011 and I loved it just as much when I read it again in the run up to the release of Insurgent. So I'll admit that I was nervous when I picked up Insurgent, it had a lot to live up to and I was worried it wouldn't meet my expectations. I didn't need to be nervous though because Veronica Roth not only matched her debut novel she smashed it!

The story picks up right where Divergent left off, Tris, Tobias (Four), Caleb, Marcus and Peter have managed to escape from the Erudite attack on the Abnegation and are headed to Amity to regroup and decide what to do next. I don't want to give you any more information about the plot because I think this is a story that deserves to be uncovered as you read it. I'll just say that you will be taken on an emotional roller coaster ride around the city of Chicago, you'll learn more about each of the different factions and watch as Tris makes some surprising allies and uncovers some shocking betrayals.

Tris is devastated by the loss of so many of her family and friends and she feels guilty about Will's death even though she was acting in self defence. She is becoming more and more reckless in her behaviour and is putting her life at risk. I really felt for her but was pleased that the author didn't try to pretend that the events of the first book wouldn't have an effect on the characters. They have each been through a lot in a short space of time and the emotional consequences are going to be far reaching. Tris is at heart a survivor though and no matter what she has been through she always finds a way out the other side.

I loved watching the developing relationship between Tris and Tobias, they obviously have a deep connection but things aren't always plain sailing between them. They have their ups and downs like any other couple but I was thrilled that we don't have another love triangle just to add conflict. One of my favourite things about Insurgent was learning more about the different factions, Amity in particular was one we knew very little about from the first book but we also get a more detailed look at Candor and even Erudite. You get to see the positive side to each of the factions but you'll also see the negatives too along with learning more about the factionless and the divergent. Veronica Roth really has put a lot of thought into her world building and it makes for fascinating reading.

Everything I loved about Divergent was multiplied in Insurgent - the action and suspense is edge of your seat and non stop from the first page to the last, Tris is as kick-ass as ever, Tobias is swoon worthy and nothing is quite what it seems. Insurgent is a MUST read for Divergent fans and if you haven't started the series yet then I don't know what you're waiting for. That was one heck of a cliffhanger ending though - it's going to be a looooooong wait until I get my hands on the next book!