Feelingfictional

Feelingfictional

Vampire Bites: A Taste of the Drake Chronicles - Alyxandra Harvey I read each of these short stories & novellas as ebooks when they were released last year but I thought I'd put all my reviews together in one place for anyone who is considering buying the book. If you're a fan of the series and you haven't already read these novellas then I'd say it's well worth investing in this collection. If they bring out a paperback I'll definitely be buying a copy to sit on my shelves with the rest of the series.

Please note that as these short stories slot in at different points of the series some of these reviews may contain slight spoilers for earlier books.

A Killer First Date - 4 stars

It's no secret that I love Alyxandra Harvey's Drake Chronicles series, these books are just so much fun to read and always have me laughing out loud all the way through! So when I spotted this short story for just 65p on Amazon UK for the Kindle I bought it without even reading the description.

Lucy has been my favourite character ever since the first book - I love her snarky sense of humour and the fact that she is so fearless despite being the only human hanging out with the Drake family - so I was delighted when I realised that this is the story of her first official date with Nicholas. A Killer First Date fits into the series between Out for Blood and Bleeding Hearts and is told from both Lucy and Hunter's points of view as they go on a double date with their respective Drake brothers. Hunter is fast becoming another favourite character in the series and I would have a hard time picking between Nicholas and Quinn so I really enjoyed getting another glimpse of their lives now they are couples.

Although I wouldn't recommend reading this story before Out for Blood you won't be missing out on anything if you decide not to read it at all as it doesn't contain anything important to the series story arc. However I'm happy to recommend the story to fans because it contains everything you'd expect from Alyxandra Harvey. You get humour, action and kissing scenes with characters you love wrapped up in a short story that can easily be read when you don't have much time to spare. It's helped tide me over while I wait for Blood Moon to be released in June!

A Field Guide to Vampires: Annotated by Lucy Hamilton - 3 stars

Alyxandra Harvey has recently written several novellas to go along with her Drake Chronicles series, they are all quick reads and available for a reasonable price via Amazon for the kindle. If you don't have a kindle there are options to read the story on your computer or through various apps for other devices.

A Field Guide to Vampires: Annotated by Lucy Hamilton is the guidebook given to all new members of the Helios-Ra but with added snarky comments from Lucy. It does contain minor spoilers for the rest of the series so I wouldn't recommend reading it until after the 4th book (Bleeding Hearts).

The guide includes everything that the Helios-Ra know (or think they know) about the different vampire groups and the Drake family. It also gives you some interesting snippets of the Helios-Ra history and information about some of the most famous vampire hunters since the society was first formed. Considering this is Lucy's personal copy of the guide she obviously hasn't been able to resist adding her own sarcastic comments and I'm sure any Lucy fan will enjoy reading them. Although I enjoyed reading this I have to admit that it was shorter than I expected it to be, I would have liked it to have been longer and had expected to see more of Lucy's comments. It was still a fun read though and worth picking up if you're a major fan of the series.

Corsets and Crossbows - 4 stars

Corsets and Crossbows is set in the early 1800's so can be read as a prequel to the series or at any other time because it contains no spoilers for the main storyline. The story is told using a series of letters from one of the first female members of the Helios-Ra; Rosalind Wild, to her friend Evangeline. Rosalind wants nothing more than to prove that women can be as good at vampire hunting as men are but although she has been allowed to join the Helios-Ra she hasn't exactly been welcomed with open arms. When she uncovers a plot to assassinate their leader she sees it as the ideal way to prove her worth.

This is an enjoyable quick read and has the same humour to it that the Drake Chronicles books do. Although there is no crossover of characters from the rest of the series it was nice to see a glimpse of Helios-Ra history. Rosalind is an ancestor of Hunter's and it shows that her family has always contained it's fair share of spunky women - you can see where Hunter gets it from! I'd recommend this for any fan of the series.

Lost Girls - 4 stars

I read this novella as an extra bonus the UK paperback of Blood Moon.

Lost Girls tells the story of how Liam and Helena first met. I don't want to say much about the story because it would be too easy to give spoilers but I really enjoyed getting to see them both before they married and had the children. It's easy to see them just as parents in the rest of the series and not think about the lives they had before they met so I liked this extra side to them. It was also great to get a better idea of how and why Helena became the kick ass mum that she is now.